New York (November 16, 2017) — Options Group announces the release of its 2017|2018 Global Financial
Markets Overview & Compensation Report. The report, entitled “The Year of Geopolitical Upset,” was
compiled between January 1st and October 31st of 2017. Forecasts are based on the firm's annual surveys,
public data such as SEC filings, as well as from thousands of interviews conducted by Options Group's
Options Group forecasts an average global total compensation increase of 1% from 2016 levels. This is based
on the US, EMEA, and Asia averages of FICC, equities, investment banking, and wealth management divisions.
Compared to 2016, average change in compensation is as follows:
• Global FICC is forecasted to decline 5%
• Global equities is forecasted to decline 7%
• Global investment banking is forecasted to increase 10%
• Global wealth management is forecasted to increase 6%
“Investment banking and wealth management performed well compared to last year. However, unfavorable
market conditions for FICC and equities divisions weighed down revenue growth and consequently, bonuses,”
said Options Group CEO Michael Karp. “Compensation and hiring trends are most favorable for professionals
involved in electronic markets or new technologies emerging from the application of data science and artificial
Key global compensation and hiring trends this year include:
• There was a significant increase in the number of senior‐level professionals switching firms in 2017. In 2018, hiring activity will shift to junior‐level professionals as new group heads replace or expand their desks.
• Canadian and Japanese banks will continue to expand globally, opportunistically recruiting professionals from bulge bracket banks and hiring those that have been made redundant.
• The trend of professionals returning to the sellside from buyside accelerated in 2017. This is expected to increase through 2018.
• The formation of a formal ecosystem to trade and invest in digital currencies could be the next wave of significant growth.
Media contact: Jessica Lee, Executive Director, email@example.com
ABOUT OPTIONS GROUP
Founded in 1992, Options Group is a leading global executive search and strategic consulting firm for the financial services industry. Since 2000, we have maintained a local presence on five continents and have placed thousands of mid‐ to senior‐level professionals in all areas of the financial services industry at a range of institutions. With over 190 consultants and market intelligence professionals worldwide, Options Group has a thorough knowledge of key competencies in the financial industry and is at the cutting edge of global hiring services and compensation trends for securities, investment banking, hedge funds, asset management, and information technology.